In this video Dan shares with you how to go about preventing and combating the dreaded fruit tree disease known as peach leaf curl aka (Taphrina deformans) using organic and manual controls.
Step by step instructions:
1) Apply copper fungicide in the fall after the tree has lost all of it's foliage and then again in the spring just before the tree begins to flush out it's new growth.
2) Clean up any fallen leaves below the affected tree and get it out of the garden. Do not compost the fallen leaves as this will further proliferate the fungus.
3) At the end of the growing season remove and replace any of the old mulch used around the tree. (Discard, do not compost)
4) Winter prune and maintenance prune the affected tree so that it has adequate airflow during the peak growing season.
5) Once the tree has come out of winter dormancy, remove any visible diseased leaves and/or twigs on the tree.
5) You can continue treatment of the tree and it's leaves with copper fungicide throughout the spring and summer as needed (weekly/bi-weekly). However, take care not to spray during the daytime when beneficial insects like bee's are present and the sun is full. Also be aware that copper although organic is a heavy metal that can accumulate in the soil which can become detrimental to the soil food web. A plastic drop cloth or tarp placed beneath the tree during applications can be helpful in preventing any problems.
6) Fertilize the tree using an appropriate fertilizing schedule.
Copper Fungicide: http://amzn.to/2o6gIT8
Lawn and Garden Sprayer: http://amzn.to/2opbYEj
Hand Bypass Pruners: http://amzn.to/2pUeJy0
Alcohol Prep: http://amzn.to/2pFdm9F
Hori Hori Digging Tool: http://amzn.to/2pHvgWJ
Fruit & Citrus Fertilizer: http://amzn.to/2opfbDK
All the best! Thanks for watching!